Honors Language Arts 5A and 5B together prepare fifth graders (ages 10-11) for an advanced middle school language arts curriculum.
Live instructors help students develop writing and critical thinking skills and appreciation of language arts.
Choose the right level
This course is recommended for students entering Grade 5. We recommend students enroll in Language Arts courses at grade level.
Each 18-week term will cover 2 units, with each unit featuring a long-term project that integrates a variety of reading, writing, critical thinking, and grammar skills.
Honors LA 5A
- Research: Students select a famously unsolved mystery, then conduct a short research project to investigate the unknown. Students will create a case file on their mystery, which they'll pitch as the subject of a new TV miniseries.
- Persuasion: In their examination of the sinking of the Titanic, students learn how to maneuver through conflicting points of view in cross-examination.
Honors LA 5B
- Expository Essays: The disappearance of Amelia Earhart is the foundation of this unit, in which students learn how to build a strong, fact-based thesis. Students conclude the unit by writing an informative essay and interviewing each other for a new mystery documentary.
- Narrative Fiction: Students craft original historical fiction by selecting a topic & conducting story-building research into the time period to build a rich, accurate setting and plot.
Students must purchase the required books before the start of the course.
Our instructors hold classes virtually, in a small-sized (10-16 students) videoconferencing classroom.
Homework and projects
Students should expect to spend about 60-90 minutes on homework every week. Homework will include practicing skills learned in class through short answer questions, long-term writing assignments connected to the unit project, and assigned reading in one of the four quarterly textbooks.
Drop and refund policies
Visit our tuition page to learn more about our drop and refund policies.
Each course runs for 18 weeks and offers two timing formats. Both cover the same course material.
- One 105-minute lesson per week, or
- Two 55-minute lessons per week
Please check back soon for new sections to be added, and join our mailing list to hear about new offerings!
The schedule for this course will be available soon. Click here to join our school mailing list and receive updates about our course offerings.